In the last lesson we learnt how to find keywords for our websites And now in “On Page Optimisation” we’ll learn how to place it on our website/web page accordingly. Every page of your website needs to have some specific keywords assign to them. So make sure you have all the keywords ready, for each and every web pages. Your home page should always contain the primary keywords, and other pages may contain secondary or supporting keywords as well.
On Page Optimization Strategies
Always remember one thing while doing on page optimisation that “Content is the king” so never compromise with its authenticity.
- Title: A title must contain the primary keyword of that web page. But that should not look like it is stuffed unnecessarily, your phrase must make sense with your keyword. (70 characters maximum)
- Description: Your description should contain maximum three secondary keywords within a phrase and should belong to that web page. (165 characters maximum)
- The keyword of that page should be there in its URL also.
Content is the king in “On Page Optimization”
As mentioned above, content is the king. So we have to be very legitimate in putting our content. We should not copy the content from any other web sources. If so happens then it is quite possible that your site might get blacklisted from Google’s database. Hence, content must be unique before it goes live on your website.
Please check the uniqueness of your content before publishing it on the web. For this, you can use tools such as Copy Scape and Small Seo Tools to check the plagiarism if any. A content which is 80% unique or above is considered good to publish.
Do’s and Don’ts of SEO
- Always try to mention your keyword in the very first line of your content if possible. Or anyhow try to mention it in the very first paragraph.
- It would be highly recommended to create paragraphs of not more than 80 words. Divide your entire content into multiple short paragraphs rather than a big bulky piece of a thesis. Your content should look presentable and worth reading.
- Try to make your content free from all grammatical errors and punctuations.
- The keyword usage should not be more than 3% and less than 0.75% in the entire content. Keyword density and proximity should always be maintained properly too.
- Put your primary keyword in H1 and Secondary keywords in H2, H3 and so on.
- Each and every paragraph must contain at least one keyword. Avoid keyword stuffing, it reduces the chance of a good ranking on search engines.
- It is strongly recommended not to use words which are banned by search engines i,e. “gambling”, “casino”, “pornography” or “Viagra” etc.
- Content without images is not appreciable by Search Engines. So images are one of the another important factor of “On Page Optimization”.
- Images must have fully mentioned ‘title’ and ‘alt text’ both.
- Avoid using of frames in your web pages because sometimes search engines may face trouble with them.
- Always try to engage your visitors more and more in increasing your website’s stick rate (Avg. session time). You may try showing some relevant videos, puzzles to solve, games etc. to increase “Avg. session time” of your visitors.
- Make more and more “call to action” buttons or internal linking to reduce the bounce rate of your site. A higher bounce rate will discourage search engines to rank your site.
Above mentioned points are the set guidelines which Google’s search engine expect from a good website. And if you follow these algorithms, chances are that you will rank higher on its first page. This is enough to perform “On Page Optimization” if not the least. For more Search engine optimisation strategies please read all other articles in this category.