As in the last article we realized the importance of having Keyword Research in SEO. Here in this article we shall learn the process of overall keyword research. To initiate this process let us take a quick revision of that we learnt in the last article what we’ve learnt there.
Why Keyword Research is important in SEO?
If we start doing search engine optimization on a particular keyword without doing any research work, it is very much possible that we cannot achieve top rankings in Google search results. All our efforts will go in vain if that keyword is not being searched frequently by people. We all know how much effort goes into performing an efficient SEO and if that turns into a useless output, believe me that hurts a lot. And this is the only reason why it is strongly recommended, to always research on keyword performance before finalizing to opt it.
- We have to keep it in mind, who all are our targeted audience.
- First choose your primary term which your audience may search for in Google.
- Now you have to have a working Google Account to sign in to keyword planner tool.
Step by Step guide of Keyword Planner Tool
There is an easy tool for finding keywords according to your website. You only have to think for just one primary keyword in your mind, rest this keyword research tool will take care of. Let’s begin with Adwords keyword tool:
- Once you login to your Adwords keyword tool it will ask you for few questions under “Find new keywords and get search volume data”
- Click on “Search for new keywords using a phrase, website or category”.
- Under “Enter one or more of the following – Your product or service” >> Put your primary keyword into the box.
- Under “Targeting” section >> Select locations (where your audience belongs to).
- Let the “Language” always be default as English.
- Under “Search Preferences” >> Select Google and Search partners.
- No need to put any “Negative Keywords”.
- Rest all the things will be same as default like “Date range, Keyword Filters, Keyword options and keywords to include”.
- Then click on “Get Ideas”.
- Then it will show you the bunch of keyword statistics.
- It will be default selected as “Ad Group Ideas” but you have to Select “Keyword Ideas” tab instead.
- And the Keyword which will be showing at the very top separate block will be the one which you searched for.
- You will get the data of “Avg. monthly searches” of past 12 months for your primary keyword. And if it is showing blank, then it clearly depicts that no searches happened in that period.
- But when you scroll down the screen it will show you all the nearly searched keyword of your primary keyword. And here is the data which will make your day.
Data that Keyword Planner Tool provides us is not an exact figure. But with the help of this estimated data you can plan your Search engine optimization accordingly.
- Now you need to download this given data to an excel sheet by clicking the “Download” button.
- Open the downloaded file in an excel sheet.
- And then simply sort the “Avg. Monthly Searches” column from Z to A, in order to get the highest number up in the row.
- Now according to your niche all the keywords which comes under below average searches. For ex. you have 800 keyword suggestions – and the top keywords searches are 8000(avg. monthly searches) and the last keyword searches are 10(avg. monthly searches) – then you may ignore all the keywords whose searches are below 1000(avg. monthly searches). And keep all the keywords above 1000 as your targeted keywords.
- One more important suggestions is always go for long tail keyword rather than 1 or 2 words keyword. Short tail keyword always become a tough challenge to compete in top rankings. Keywords above 3 or more words are always recommendable.
So far we’ve managed to get high volume searches keyword belongs to our niche. But now we have to reduce the effect of competition as well as to rank on Google’s Search Engine. This is also a very important part in keyword research and planning. Each and every keyword that you have refined so far has some competition value in Google search. Mentioned below are the steps to find the competition of your respective keywords:
- Type keywords in Google search and hit enter.
- The number of results which will show up there, just copy and paste it against their respective keywords one by one. And name that column as competition in that same excel sheet.
- And this time use A to Z short in “Competition” column. So that the least competitive keyword rises to the top row and less competitive to the second row and so on.
- And this way you will get the most refined niche keyword for your website/webpage to rank on Google’s Search engine. The chances of getting rank on these refined keywords are far more opportunistic than any random keywords.
I hope you guys understood the importance of Keyword Research and its planning. And how to do it also you’ve learnt. Now if you have any further question regarding this topic please comment and I will do reply with my best answers available up to your satisfaction level.